Best Car Insurance For Young Drivers

Questions and Answers

Your Questions About New Driver Car Insurance Advice

March 18, 2013

Ken asks…

who is to blame when car reversed ino me?

I was pulling in to park outside a shop on the main street which was on my right. I waited until the road was clear then indicated and drove into the space – the car which would have been parked to my right – had I managed to park – reversed out and badly damaged my drivers door. My insurance company say it might be settled 50/50 but surely the fault lies with the other driver ?

Administrator answers:

Ok, no offence to people who have already answered, but you clearly don’t know what you’re talking about and shouldn’t give advice if you don’t have the relevant experience/expertise.

I work for a well known insurance company and this is what I do for a living (liability resolution etc).

The reason your insurers are saying that it may go 50/50 is because the simple fact is; you were both manoeuvring at the time of impact. You were crossing the main carriageway to enter a parking space/bay/area and the other vehicle was moving from that parking area onto the main carriageway. Therefore if both parties blame each other, then liability would quite rightly be split on a 50/50 basis as BOTH drivers had a duty of care to be aware of other vehicles around them. Assuming there are no witnesses or conclusive independent evidence to prove that one driver caused the accident, it simply boils down to what you can prove, which is – you didn’t see him and he didn’t see you and in this case, neither of you had an automatic right of way etc so 50/50 is reasonable.

As a further note, I would point out that generally speaking, reversing vehicles do carry a higher duty of care because the courts would consider their manoeuvre to be a greater risk, however in this instance that doesnt apply as crossing a carriageway to park etc would be considered as similar or equal risk to the other party’s manoeuvre.

It’s unfortunate, but that’s civil law/negligence for you. I hope this has answered your question.

Paul asks…

Getting caught driving without a license in California?

I got pulled over today and unfortunately I have no license and my car has no insurance and the registration is past due. Of course my car was towed away and I just need to know what the legal consequences will be? Like do I face possible jail time or is it just a fine. On the ticket it says that driving without a license is a misdemeanor while the other two are infractions. Any help and advice would be appreciated.

Administrator answers:

When you go to court, you will find out what the fines are. No, they won’t put you in jail.

Your car will be impounded for 30 days.

California Vehicle Code (CVC) Sections 14602.6 and 14607.6:
On January 1, 1995, new laws were enacted relating to unlicensed drivers. These laws, California Vehicle Code (CVC) Sections 14602.6 and 14607.6 authorize tow enforcement agencies to tow and impound vehicles for 30 days when driven by unlicensed, suspended, or revoked drivers. There is a possibility that the vehicle could be forfeited (taken from you by the state) if you have a prior conviction for driving while unlicensed, or with a suspended or revoked license.
Reasons for car impoundment:
Both 14602.6 and 14607.6 of the CVC give law enforcement officers the authority to impound your vehicle when it is being operated by an “unlicensed driver” (license not issued, suspended or revoked).
Your car is being impounded because you have committed a misdemeanor, not an infraction. By operating a motor vehicle without a valid driver’s license you have committed a serious offense. In addition to the citation, the vehicle you are operating will be impounded and held for 30 days, or possibly forfeited.

Joseph asks…

Tourist hit by a drunk driver without insurance in Australia. What can I do?

My girlfriend’s car got hit by a drunk driver from behind while she was stopped at a road block in Australia. Damage $6000. She is Japanese. The guy doesn’t have insurance, he’s doesn’t even have registration. Her insurance covers only third party liability so she cannot get money from her insurance either. She tried to settle the issue for $5000 which is the price she would get if selling the car but the guy said he doesn’t have the money and clearly refuse to co-operate. She will get free legal advice from a lawyer soon and probably she would have to go to court. This would probably take months and she does not want to stay here for that long. How can she get the money if he cannot pay? Is there any agency that can help?

Administrator answers:

Were police called? If so there should be a police report & charges laid against the offender

If so , perhaps lodging a claim in small claims tribunal (depending where she lives) may be quickest – it varies from state to state and allows for quick judgement in simple cases for low value claims (eg <$10,000) without need for legal representation. Thats how it works in NSW


Chris asks…

Why is the Insurance company calling me when I wasnt the one driving the car?

I was in a friends car (he’s 17) and when he tried pulling out of the parking lot he accidently hit a teachers car. I was in the drivers seat and didnt even see what really happend. It was so fast! So now the insurance company is calling me. Im still a minor so what could they want? Im really nervous and would love some advice. Thank you!
woops. I mean I was in the passanger seat. Sorry and thank you to the ones who answered !

Administrator answers:

Insurance companies usually contact all the witnesses to get their side of the story. If you saw nothing, tell them that. No reason for you to be nervous.

One time I had seen a big bad wreck and the insurance company called me on a speaker phone, so I knew there were others listening. They also told me they were recording the entire conversation. That one made me a little nervous.

Mandy asks…

What to buy a Ford Ka or a Vauxhall Corsa?

My 1.2 L reg corsa that I have had 4 6 months had died and gone to car heaven, so its time to buy another one but something a little newer, and as Im a 1st time driver and only been driving 6 months I need something low on insurance So I need your advice on what is more reliable and nicer to drive a Ford Ka or a Vauxhall Corsa? I have aprrox £2000 to spend on the car.

Even thought I have had trouble with a corsa already it hasn’t put me off enquiring about them as I the one I has was a very old runner and only cost me £325.

Administrator answers:

You’ll get better performance and handling from a Ka. I’d go for the Ford. They are generally better than Vauxhalls.

George asks…

How to tell my parents about a car accident?

Well I already typed this but this is a bit of a different question & want some good advice
So what happened was I was driving during the afternoon to go to the store, I think I was a lil distracted from my mirror & maybe driving fast then saw a big truck in front of me at the traffic light, I was too close I slammed the brakes but it was too late and rear ended the truck, the driver of the truck looked mad cause I saw his arm got up hitting his steering wheel or something, the traffic light was already green but I’m not sure if he forgot to move or if there was a car in front of him not moving. The guy got out of his truck to check any damage on his truck, I opened the door and apologized and said I was sorry and I think he said ‘yeah it’s alright’ & said like “luckily your car only got damaged” I got out and saw the damage on my car which is really bad, I don’t think there was any damage to the guy’s truck; no scratches, dents or anything just my car was damaged, he drove away, without asking any information or anything else then I drove off to go to the store with my damaged car and later drove back home without any other trouble.

The car looks really bad, the hood is severely damaged, it’s like bent open revealing the engine parts on the sides, I tried opening it but it’s stuck. Pic:
I have some money but just 100 bucks in my bank account which I’m sure isn’t enough to repair it. My parents don’t know about it yet so I’m really terrified how they’ll react, this is not the first car problem they dealt with caused by me(flat tires, putting diesel gas by mistake, etc.) but this is the first accident which will def. cost more money than the past car problems …I’m very anxious & scared what’ll happen, I know my parents are going to flip out, yell and scream when they know about this cause it’ll cost alot of money to repair. I don’t think I’m insured but I know they have insurance. I know it’s my fault but I’m really worried how my ‘rents will reeact and they won’t let me drive again even though I’m already a legal adult and had my license for over 2 years but I’m not fully independent yet, I do have a job but I only work on some weekends and I don’t think I can afford to fix it myself. Any good advice?

Administrator answers:

This is what you pay insurance for.
You have to tell your parents and claim on your insurance for the damage to both the truck and your car.

You sound as though you need to concentrate more when you are driving. Driving takes 100% concentrating especially when you are a new driver. This is why insurance is high for young drivers.
You may do the journey frequently but it still requires 100% of your concentration.
Putting the wrong fuel in again is careless.
If you are going to afford to keep driving then you need to work harder at it.

Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Related posts:

  1. Your Questions About New Driver Car Insurance Advice
  2. Your Questions About New Driver Car Insurance Advice
  3. Your Questions About New Driver Car Insurance Advice
  4. Your Questions About New Driver Car Insurance Advice
  5. Your Questions About New Driver Car Insurance Advice