Best Car Insurance For Young Drivers

Questions and Answers

Your Questions About New Driver Car Insurance Advice

May 11, 2013

Richard asks…

What to do in the state of Louisiana when someone doesn’t want to pay for the car wreck they’ve caused?

I’m asking this for a friend who has suffered a car wreck.

The person at fault had a police report filed on them, and the person at fault lied to the police about having insurance coverage to the cop because all the insurance cards were in valid ,and then she handed over her husbands insurance card which went through. The driver was rushed to the hospital in an ambulance because she was knocked out at the will, and there was a passenger her husband he stayed behind to witness the lady trying to lie about her insurance.
Yet the person who is responsible for rear-ended the vehicle is pulling every rotten dirty trick to get out of to not paying for the damages, and her car insurance is helping her because they’ve falsified the documentation of the damaged vehicle on behalf of this lady reporting to autocheck, and carfax reporting the crash happening in another state when it happened reported by Louisiana police in the state of Louisiana ,and the lady who is at fault does not want to pay a dime and has a rotten evil attorney backing them both her ,and her insurance company. My friends have medical bill that need to be paid ,and chiropractors bills that also need to be paid.
What to do in the state of Louisiana , or what legal action can be taken?
What can I do what best advice ,and approach can someone take in the state of Louisiana?

Administrator answers:

When the police came to the scene after the accident, the police report will list:

Date of accident
Time of accident
Location of accident, address which includes city/state
Drivers/owners of each auto
Make/model/year of each auto
Damages to each auto; this case 1 car front end, the 2nd car rear end
Statement, usually from both parties of how accident happened.

Since an EMS was called, then will show that someone was injured and taken to the hospital.

In a rear end accident, there will be no dispute of fault, This person either has insurance or not. Many times, people forget to bring or leave in their car a current insurance card, so could have an invalid card, BUT, have insurance with the same company or another company that is valid.

They cant dispute where the accident happened due to the police report.

But, the question is, does your friend who was involved in this accident have auto insurance? If so, needs to file his insurance company asap. IF, he/she has med pay or PIP, will pay for the medical bills. But,,,,,,,,if, your friend has NO auto insurance, in LA, it is a NO PAY/NO PLAY state and based on what I read, the first $10,000 they wont pay.

As a brief description of the statute, it became effective in 1998 and forbids a motor vehicle owner who does not have liability insurance from recovering the first ten-thousand dollars of any bodily injury or property damage claim. This means if you are driving a car without insurance you give up the right to collect your first ten-thousand dollars of personal injury and property damage claims.

Hopefully your friend indeed has auto insurance, so should call them for advice on how to proceed.

Good luck

Michael asks…

What should I do to get full compensation from property (auto) damage caused by unlicensed drunk driver?

Two of my cars parked in my driveway were damaged heavily by a drunk driver. The drunk driver drove across our lawn and hit our parked van, which hit the car next to it. Both of our cars were totaled. His truck sustained very minor damage. Driver had no driver‘s license or insurance, but the truck he drove belonged to his brother, which had insurance. Police was called and driver got arrested. Both cars were appraised by the other insurance company, and they could only offer $10,000 max, based on its policy. If we were to accept that amount, we cannot sue. It was not enough to cover both of our cars. I need help figuring out what to do next. I was told to file at a small claim court, but even that wouldn’t be enough to cover the cars. I was also told to seek a lawyer, but I cannot find an affordable lawyer who is trustworthy and attentive. Please help. This happened a week ago.

Administrator answers:

Have you talked to YOUR insurance company? IF, you have collision coverage on either one or both of the vehicles, YOUR insurance company would pay for the value of EACH vehicle minus the deductible, which most likely is $500, so would be out a maximum of $1,000, if both vehicles have collision, and then YOUR insurance company would go after the other insurance company for the max of $10,000, and most likely would reimburse you either all of your deductible, or a portion of it. Or, if you live in a state that has uninsured/underinsured property damage, it would “pick” up where the other insurance company does not have enough coverage.

But, (IF), no collision on either or under insured property damage, then the max you can get from the other company is $10,000 and yes, you wont be able to sue, since I guarantee the other insurance company will have you sign a release, which would bar you from suing the owner/driver of the other vehicle.

Also, if you were to sue the owner/driver, then the other insurance company would be there in court, since, with all auto policies, they have a duty to the policyholder if you sue them. The question is, does either the owner/driver have any assets? IF not, then when you win, which you will, you may never see a dime, since if they have no assets, there is nothing to go after.

Forget about hiring a lawyer, since none will take for property damages and you would have to pay them a retainer, and/or a percentage of your settlement, and (NO), you don’t want to pay a lawyer 1/3 of $10,000.

Talk to your insurance company 1st and seek their advice on your coverage.

Mark asks…

Is it better to buy a newer car that has more miles vs older car with less miles?

My mechanic was telling me that it’s better to buy a newer vehiacle with more miles rather than an older car with less miles because of the reliablity issues. So is his advice good? He told me that newer cars with higher miles are better because the previous owner(s) would have done the repairs to the car already. And also that the parts(if highway miles) would have less wear on them.

I’ve always brought cars based on milage/condition. Should I take the risk and buy a car with say over 130,000 miles?

Administrator answers:

When I shop around for a car, I use my priorities to make a choice for me. Just as car shoppers always do.
That being said, I would buy the car that’s older with less mileage because, I want a reliable car and I would rather not have to get back into “shopping mode” for a few years (or at least, put it off for a while). I like cars. I enjoy giving advice about cars. I can only afford insurance coverage for one car at a time. I like to maintain my own cars and I want to keep them around for, as long as, I believe that they will serve my purposes without becoming a frequent nuisance to own/operate. If my car becomes too old BUT, still “runs like a top” then I will sell it to someone for a reasonable price or give it away to a close friend (or relative) that is going through some tough times and needs reliable transportation. I usually wouldn’t buy a car with 130,000 miles because, That’s not the type of car that fits in with my choices. Those are my priorities.

Other car owners may want a newer car because they think it’s not good to have a daily driver (day-to-day car) that’s too old and MAY give them problems. Or is out of style with current trends. They don’t mind shopping for another car in a couple of years down the road, they have the extra money to do it, as long as, it isn’t too old (# of years). Some of the people that would choose the newer car, will try to “flip it” later (resell the car) to get most of their money back and move on/move up to the next deal. And I will admit that they can do this successfully with some skill.

What it boils down to is, what do you want to do? What are your priorities ? Do you still want to drive this same car around a couple of years from now ?

Thomas asks…

Can my parents be sued twice by the driver in a car accident involving a horse on the road?

OK, here’s the situation; My parents own a ranch and home in California. They are leasing it to a farmer. About two years ago a horse that the farmer owned escaped from the property and ended up running around on the road. Late that night, a man driving home hit the horse on the road. The horse was killed and the man needed immediate emergency care. It is unclear how the horse escaped, but it is possible that a gate was left open.

My parents had insurance in case such a thing like this happened. It will cover up to $300,000. The man is now suing our insurance company. The insurance company provided us a lawyer.

But now, Driver 1 is suing my parents personally in civil court for $10,000,000.
If the insurance company decides to pay out, and the man accepts the settlement, can he sue my parents again in civil court? Also, if the insurance company pays, can that be interpreted as an admission of guilt or fault?

Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated. Thank you and God bless.

Administrator answers:

Chances are the driver is suing your parents (as the landowners) and the tenant leasing the land. It would likely come out during the discovery process or trial as to who was at fault for the horse being loose.

Typically, plaintiffs in personal injury lawsuits (the driver, in this case) sue for significantly more than the limits of an insurance police (and more than they actually hope to collect). Usually, the insurance company will agree to settle any and all claims the plaintiff (driver) may have against its insured (your parents), for an amount within the limits of the insurance policy. If that happens, the insurance company pays the full amount and your parents would not be responsible for any additional amount. Most settlements provide that the settlement may not be interpreted as an admission of guilt/fault, but that may vary from case to case.

If, for example, the case ended up going to trial, and a jury came back with an award of $1,000,000, then the insurance company would pay up to the limits of its policy ($300,000), and your parents would be responsible for the balance ($700,000).

Your parents should discuss all of the possible outcomes with the attorney (provided by the insurance company). Also, this is not the same as a deer accident. A deer is an animal found in nature, for which no human being is responsible. The horse had an owner. That owner is responsible for ensuring that the horse does not become a danger to the traveling public. The question in a civil trial is whether there was negligence on the part of any defendant, for example, the horse owner for failing to close a gate, the landowner for failing to repair a fence on the property, etc.

Daniel asks…

How could i get affordable car insurance with in10, 8 points, 3 Children :’(?

So i passed at 17, Iam 21 now, at the age of 19 i got my licence taken off me for driving without insurance (my fault thought i was insured third party on my dads car with his permission)

With 8 points and a fine included.

Since 19 ive been taking buses and sick of it missing lessons etc because i commute to Uni.

2 years later ive had enough and passed my test.

How on earth do i get insured at 21 with 8 points in Bradford?

Surely someone must be in the same boat and have some advice ?

I have a car and 3 children and they are nearly all starting school i really need to be driving them there.

I want to do the right thing and be fully insured its bin 3 years since i had the in10 cant they not be so harsh as its been so long now. Ive matured and am the calmest driver ive ever been.

Thankyou to anyone who helps !

Administrator answers:

When you get 6 or more points on your licence, you effectively give up the right to shop around for cheap insurance and it’s a case of who will still insure you rather than who is the cheapest.

Usually, if you get 6 points, most insurers will decline you and refer you back to your natural insurer as your natural insurer would have to take you back on at an increased cost. Your natural insurer is the insurer you were with at the time of the offence. However, as your offence was no insurance, you can’t even go down that route as you wont have a natural insurer. There will be insurers out there who will take on anyone regardless of their driving history but they are very expensive because of the type of business they take on. They only take on high risk cases. Have you considered using a price comparison web site as that will identify which insurers would still be prepared to cover you and give you an idea of the cost.

I appreciate that you feel that this is harsh, but you chose to drive uninsured, so you have to accept the consequences. If there was no penalty, everybody would be doing it. Insurers are particularly strict on this type of offence as every time someone drives uninsured, it increases the premium for those of us who do pay for their insurance, so understandably, insurers cannot be seen to condone it.

Under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act, when the offence is 5 years old, they can no longer penalise you for it and if you don’t get any further convictions, you can then start afresh, but until then, I’m afraid that cheap insurance isn’t an option.

Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Related posts:

  1. Your Questions About New Driver Car Insurance Advice
  2. Your Questions About New Driver Car Insurance Advice
  3. Your Questions About New Driver Car Insurance Advice
  4. Your Questions About New Driver Car Insurance Advice
  5. Your Questions About New Driver Car Insurance Advice