Best Car Insurance For Young Drivers

Questions and Answers

Your Questions About New Driver Car Insurance Uk

June 29, 2013

Richard asks…

What are the legal restrictions when driving on the continent?

I am a 27year old, I plan to be going to france in june and by that time I will have been driving for a year- am i legally allowed to drive in france?

Administrator answers:

Yes, you can drive in France.

Minimum age of driver is 18. Children under 10 are forbidden to travel in the front seat.

Keep driving licence and all car paperwork with you as it must be produced on the spot if requested by the police. Driving licence must be a ‘pink’ one or pink and green – not an old green one. A letter giving authority to drive the car must be kept with the paperwork if the car is not yours – including company cars. Get an international accident declaration form from your insurance broker. It is simple to follow and will help when sorting out any mishaps. Be sure before signing anything in French.

A set of spare bulbs is compulsory – pick one up from the nearest hypermarket if you forget before travelling. A warning triangle is a good idea – compulsory if you’re towing. Make sure headlights are adjusted to avoid dazzling other drivers or being pulled over by the police.

Always stop completely at STOP signs – or the police can fine you.
Never drink and drive. Tests are random and common. Fines are very heavy and instant.
Never speed. Speeding fines are heavy and must be paid on the spot. The police can impound the car in extreme cases.
Beware of Priorité à droite – drivers from the right having priority. Still used in town centres and famously at the Arc de Triomphe.
Always pay and display – clamping is on the increase.
Seatbelts must be worn by all. No children under 10 in the front unless in a specially adapted rear-facing seat.
All UK cars in France must also display a GB sticker which is usually available from cross Channel operators.
Motorcyclists must wear crash helmets.
Instant fines exist for illegal use of bus lanes.
Speed Limits
130km/h on toll motorways (110 km/h when wet).
110km/h on dual carriageways and non toll motorways (90km/h when wet).
90 km/h on other main roads (80 km/h when wet).
50 km/h in towns and villages – sometimes slower so watch for signs.
Portable speed cameras can flash from back and front.
Speeding fines are normally charged on the spot.

Bon voyage :-)

George asks…

What are some good arguments for keeping the driving age 16?

I need to write a persuasive issues speech that needs to be at least 5 minutes long in order to pass.
I need some solid arguments to make a point on and maybe some sub points on each main point on why the driving age should stay 16.

Administrator answers:

This is turning up on the UK site- in UK the driving age for a car is 17 and in mainland europe it is often 18. I don’t think there are any good arguments – our dreadful insurance costs are in part caused by young drivers. Oh yes – I was young once but we did not seem to cause havoc in those days -….

Chris asks…

I need insurance to drive a friends car in NZ. How do I go about getting it? Is my UK driving license ok?

I will only be there for 10 weeks.
It appears dificult if I am not an NZ resident.

Administrator answers:

The owner of the car takes out insurance and anyone can drive that car as long as you have a licence. Also, you need to carry your drivers licence with you when driving in NZ. You don’t need a seperate insurance.
Have fun it’s the best place on earth!!!!

Helen asks…

I rear-ended a car but the driver said not to worry about it?

I was at a red light in the right lane. I thought the driver in front of me already turned right and I wasn’t paying attention and I rear-ended him. His car was fairly old and bumper was rusted. The only damage to my car was a little paint damage and a tiny ding. He got out of his car and said everything was ok, not to worry about it because his car was really old. We both got in our cars and drove off. Am I at any risk here?

Administrator answers:

If his Insurance was up to date and he had a witness, you should be very worried. If you rear-end another vehicle, it is YOUR fault – you were either driving too close to stop or not paying attention to what was happening.
You just might get away with this one, but don’t bank on it happening every time. Even now his Insurance Company may be telling him he will probably get a new car out of this.

(In the UK) you should also inform the Police within 24 hours, because if you don’t and he does – you have left the scene of an accident and failed to report it. Both very serious offences.

Paul asks…

How long does it take to qualify as a Driving Instructor?

From start to finish? Also, are there any of you who do this as a job? Do you enjoy it? How much does it cost to do a course? Can you recommend a course? Are there any negatives to this job?

Administrator answers:

Driving Instructor
The work

Driving instructors teach people the skills needed to drive safely, understand road procedures and bring them up to the standard required to pass their driving test.

Initially, an instructor assesses the learner’s driving knowledge and skills and then plans a series of lessons, with the aim of helping the learner to get their driving licence.

Most driving lessons follow a similar pattern and include:

* introducing the learner to the vehicle controls, mirrors and indicators
* moving off and stopping the vehicle
* understanding road signs, road markings and traffic signals
* turning left and right
* carrying out manoeuvres, such as overtaking, reversing and parking
* dealing with emergency situations.

The instructor monitors the learner at all times and uses dual controls to make slight adjustments to their driving when necessary. As the learner becomes more competent, the instructor takes them on to busier roads, dual carriageways and more complex junctions like roundabouts.

Instructors also teach road safety, the Highway Code and basic vehicle checks. When the instructor thinks the learner is ready, they apply for a driving test date.

As well as preparing learners for the practical test, the instructor may also cover the theory side in depth, although learners can do much of this themselves.

Instructors work for driving schools or are self-employed.

Specialist Instruction
Experienced instructors can specialise in particular areas of driving instruction, such as advanced or high-performance driving, disabled drivers’ instruction, passenger carrying vehicle (PCV) tuition and large goods vehicle (LGV) driver training.

Hours and Environment

Working hours vary and often include evenings and weekends. Lessons are normally between one and two hours. There may be seasonal variations in bookings, particularly around Christmas or the summer holidays.

Most of your time is spent in the car, driving to collect clients, then sitting in the passenger seat during lessons.
Skills and Interests

To be a driving instructor you should:

* have excellent driving skills, road safety knowledge and enthusiasm for driving
* be able to give instructions clearly and concisely
* be able to adapt your teaching style to suit all clients, for example nervous learners
* have patience and good interpersonal skills
* be able to stay calm and point out errors in a constructive way
* have a sense of humour
* be observant and able to react quickly and safely to any problems
* have a basic knowledge of car mechanics, for example when explaining about changing gears, steering and vehicle checks.


You do not need formal academic qualifications to become a driving instructor, but you should register with the Driving Standards Agency (DSA) as an Approved Driving Instructor (ADI).

To apply for registration, you must meet the following criteria:

* have held a full UK/EU driving licence for at least four years out of the last six
* have not been disqualified during the last four years
* complete criminal record and motoring conviction checks
* pass a theory test and pass two practical exams within two years of the theory part (see the Training section below for details).

Driving or teaching experience can be an advantage. Many driving schools prefer applicants over the age of 21 because insurance premiums are lower.

The DSA sends out a starter pack, which includes information about the career and an ADI application form. The DSA also holds a list of approved training providers – the Official Register of Driving Instructor Training (ORDIT). A copy of this is included in the starter pack. For DSA details, see the Further Information section below.


Approved Driving Instructor (ADI) exams
ADI exams are in three parts:

* a computer-based theory test
* a practical test of driving ability
* a practical test of teaching ability.

You must pass each part before taking the next and you must qualify within two years of completing the theory test. You can take the theory test as many times as you like but you only have three attempts at each of the practical tests in any two-year period.

Courses are run by specialist training schools and by driving schools. Course length, content and teaching methods all vary, as do training costs, so check with individual training providers.

Trainee Licence
If you pass the first two parts of the ADI exams, you can join the trainee licensing scheme (although this is not compulsory) to help gain experience of driving instruction. The trainee licence is valid for six months and gives you the right to receive payment for driving instruction with a driving school. There are various conditions attached to the use of the licence and the DSA website in Further Information below has full details of these.

Joining the ADI register
Once you have successfully passed all three parts of the qualifying exams, you join the ADI register and are given a registration certificate to display in your car.

You have to renew your registration every four years and ADI Registrars require you to take a test of continued ability and fitness to give instruction. Your name can be removed from the register if you fail to meet the required standards.

Specialist driving instructors
Specialist instructors usually have professional qualifications. Some employers in road haulage and bus and coach services train their experienced drivers to become instructors within the company or at a specialist training school.

A voluntary register of LGV instructors has been introduced by the DSA; a similar register for the Passenger Carrying Vehicle (PCV) industry is run by GoSkills, the Sector Skills Council for passenger transport. See the DSA and GoSkills websites in Further Information for details.

Professional qualifications
The Driving Instructors’ Association (DIA) offers continuing professional development (CPD) schemes and qualifications, such as the Diploma in Driving Instruction, in conjunction with Middlesex University, and the Advanced Instructor and Examiner qualifications (DIAmond). The DSA is also developing a CPD scheme. See the DIA and DSA websites below for more details.

The NVQ in Driving Instruction is also available at Level 3, covering areas such as safe driving, facilitating learning, monitoring driver progress and driving regulations.


Most driving instructors are self-employed, but you may start by working within a franchised driving school.

With experience, you can work as a specialist instructor for a large commercial transport company or a bus and coach operator. You could also consider options like defensive driving training or retraining traffic offenders. The police, fire service, ambulance service and the armed forces employ their own driving instructors.

The main career progression is into self-employment but competition can be intense, as there are no restrictions on how many instructors can operate within an area.

There may be opportunities to become a senior instructor or a driving school manager, and the DSA occasionally recruits experienced driving instructors as driving examiners.
Annual Income

Figures are intended as a guideline only.

Full-time driving instructors can make around £15,000 in the first year.
Average earnings for established instructors are around £23,000 a year.
Experienced instructors can earn over £30,000 a year.

Income is based on the cost of the driving lesson and the amount of hours worked. Lessons can be charged from £12 to £27 an hour; and instructors can work up to 48 hours a week. Car maintenance, running costs and other expenses have to be paid out of that amount.

Instructors working through a franchise usually pay a weekly fee of up to £300, but will have a car provided. They still have to buy fuel.

Thomas asks…

Is it possible to insure a car in uk if you do not live there?

I live in Sweden and will visit UK – I have the posibility to borrow a car from a relative – how do I insure it ?

Administrator answers:

You ask your relative to add you to their insurance as a named driver.

Nancy asks…

Hiring a car to take around Europe?

Me and a few friends are planning on going on a road trip across Europe. We will all meet in London and then go to various countries around Europe. The trip will last one month. We will all be 21 and all have full driving licences with no points (as far as I’m aware). By full I mean we can all drive legally in the UK.

Do you guys know any good places we could hire a car from?

Also, is there any specific kind of laws we would need to check out if we are foreign drivers in another country or driving a hire car in another country or something?

Administrator answers:

First and foremost, most car hire companies will insist that you are at least 25 years or older, or have held a full driving license for at least three years, so this will be something you need to look at with individual companies.

Its probably best to shop around and check prices and rules of individual companies, regarding insurance cover etc, as again, this may differ from country to country. Also, its always wise to have a good look over the car before you use it, check that tyres are sound and have plenty of tread, and ensure brakes are sound……the laws in some countries arent as strict as in the U.K., and often, hire cars are in a poor state of repair… always consider your own safety before you even get in the car. And, then of course you have to follow the rules of the road for the individual countries, which again, arent always the same as ours, and you have to consider the fact that police arent always so lenient in other countries either, and you must find out the laws about crossing vborders and what visas you may need.

Its not something you can just do at the drop of a hat, and will have to be carefully planned and orchestrated.

My daughter in law is a manager for Europcar.

Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Related posts:

  1. Your Questions About Learner Driver Insurance
  2. Your Questions About New Driver Car Insurance Uk
  3. Your Questions About Learner Driver Insurance
  4. Your Questions About New Driver Car Insurance Advice
  5. Your Questions About New Driver Car Insurance Rates